Fanatec Podium DD1 Direct Drive In-Depth Review By The Sim Channel
The German Sim Racing hardware manufacturer Fanatec, offers a complete line-up of high-end Direct Drive solutions. The Fanatec Podium DD1 and DD2 are standalone wheelbases featuring different levels of performance, while the Podium Racing Wheel F1 is the first ever direct drive system officially licensed for the PlayStation 4.
The Sim Channel now published a very interesting in-depth review of the flagship Fanatec DD1 PODIUM Direct Drive base. In a very informative 30min video he checks out the build quality, features, and software of the product, and shares his personal tips and thoughts.
The Podium Wheel Base DD1 wheelbase is currently on Pre-Order via the official Fanatec website for € 1,199.95 Incl. VAT + shipping. The orders will be shipped on 2019-08-16
Podium DD1 Features:
- An individual servo motor designed by our developers, and the first direct drive motor to meet the needs of SimRacing
- The Outrunner engine achieves peak engine torques of 20 Nm, comparable to the torque of most real power-driven racing cars
- The holding torque of the Podium Wheel Base DD1 is never less than 15 Nm, even under full load during a race
- Engine acceleration and speed remain at the highest level, even with heavy steering wheels.
- Very weak torque ripple ensures minimal mechanical resistance and the same smooth driving experience as in a real car
- A wireless data and power supply to the Fanatec Wheels allow unrestricted steering wheel rotation.
- Integrated OLED display, resolution 2.7 “256×64
- The OLED display shows advanced telemetry functions such as motor and force feedback data in real time; indicates, for example, power, FFB clipping, and more.
- Improved Fanatec tuning menu
- Supports the adjustment of the grinding point of the clutch (clutch bite-point mode)
- Integrated electronics directly in the housing, no external control box necessary
- The integrated electronics and the highest quality of the components ensure low latency, as the Force Feedback is immediately transmitted by the racing simulations.
- Fully certified with CE, FCC, C-Tick, ROHS and all other certificates required by law. Thus, we ensure that this product does not interfere with other electronic devices.
- A torque dongle allows the user to lock/unlock the full power
- All existing and future peripherals are supported.
- Choose from a growing selection of Fanatec steering wheels in many different styles and in different price/quality levels.
- Firmware can be easily upgraded for additional new features
- Motor driver firmware can be updated
- Fast 1000 Hz USB update rate
- Thanks to the integrated electronics and components of the highest quality, very low latency is guaranteed.
- Connection of 2 external shifters (eg H-circuit and sequential circuit) possible in parallel
- Attachment for ClubSport Static Shifter Paddles available
- Connection ports for peripheral devices: USB, Power, Pedals, Shifter 1, Shifter 2, Handbrake.
- Aluminum Casing
- Replaceable cover plates made of brushed aluminum
- Three mounting holes at the bottom, as well as 2 mounting holes at each side. A firm and stable installation on a cockpit is recommended because of the strong torque.
- Full support of the Fanatec SDK ensures compatibility with all major games. Also cross-platform and “out of the box”.
- Our Podium software for PC applications:
- Displays telemetry data of the game. For example, speed, lap times, the temperature of the brakes, speedometer on external devices such as on a smartphone, tablet or on USB monitors.
- Supports all popular PC games like Assetto Corsa, F1 2018, Dirt Rally, Project Cars 2 and rFactor 2.
- Check your advanced tuning menu settings and preferences directly from the software on the linked devices.
- Save game-specific settings directly in the software and these settings will be executed automatically when the game starts.
- New, adjustable FFB functions such as damping and friction
- A quick release system, which is in no way inferior to the automotive industry, with a tensioning element to avoid wobbling and play between the steering wheel and the base.
- 3 years warranty
- Optional warranty extension to 5 years possible
- All Fanatec ClubSport Steering Wheels
- All Fanatec CSL Steering Wheels
- All Fanatec pedals
- All Fanatec shifters
- RennSport Cockpit V2 (from Q4 2017)
- ClubSport table clamp V2
- PC: This wheelbase is compatible with all available steering wheels to PC.
- Xbox One®: Compatibility can be provided by (optional) steering wheels such as the ClubSport Steering Wheel Universal Hub for Xbox One or CSL Steering Wheel P1 for Xbox One. If a steering wheel without an Xbox One® license is used on the wheelbase, it can NOT be used on the Xbox One®.
- PlayStation®: This product is not compatible with any PlayStation® system and can not be retrofitted.
- Dimensions (L x W x H): 51.00cm x 26.00cm x 28.00cm
- Weight: 13.00kg
- Volume weight: 7.42kg
- Podium Wheel Base DD1
- Torque dongle
- Power adapter (480 watts)
Official Webpages – www.fanatec.com